There are two ways to password protect Microsoft Word documents to prevent others from opening them.
Password Protect Documents using FILE > Info > Protect Document
The first way to encrypt a Microsoft Word document with a password is:
- From the FILE menu, click Info and then Protect Document (in Word 2007, click the Microsoft Office button, select Prepare, and click Encrypt Document):Protect Document
- Select Encrypt with Password:Encrypt with Password
- In the Encrypt Document dialog box, enter your password and click OK:Encrypt Document Dialog Box
- In the Confirm Password dialog box, reenter your password and click OK:Confirm Password Dialog Box
- Save your document.
- To remove or change your password, simply follow the steps above and either remove your password or enter a new password.
Password Protect Documents using FILE > Save As
The second way to password protect a Microsoft Word document is:
- From the FILE menu, click Save As (in Word 2007, select the Microsoft Office button and select Save As):File Save As
- In the Save As dialog box, click Tools and select General Options:Save As Dialog Box
- In the General Options dialog box, enter password(s) to open and/or edit:General Options Dialog Box
- Click OK. You’ll get a reenter password dialog box to confirm the password(s), one for each type of password.
- You can remove the passwords by going to the Save as dialog box, selecting the General Options in the Tools drop-down, and clearing the passwords.